12 May 2009

Par 3

I never would have thought an evening at the driving range would have such great affects. As I received coaching from a trusted friend, I focused every part of myself on the few instructions I was being given, maintaining a good "athletic stance," an appropriate distance from the end of the club and myself, keeping my left arm straight and my right arm as close to my body as possible, etc. I heard that in order to have a perfect golf swing, there have got to be 225 things that go right. Amusing to think how few of those 225 things I was focusing on.

That evening I felt a tremendous peace. Maybe the fact that I was enjoying the companionship of a cherished friend and enjoying the comfort that comes from 4 years of friendship, and oddly even the walking boot I wore on my left foot was a natural part of me that night as I was in the company of my friend instead of being a foreign object and cumbersome, but there was more to my peace than just that.

Despite the smile I wear externally and visibly, my gregariousness, and the straight forward and confident approach, my mind is typically overwhelmed with activity. For the most part, I am able to organize the twister of thoughts, but occasionally, and as of late frequently, I feel like I am running after a run-away carriage - too many thoughts, too many emotions, too many tasks, too many stresses, too many pressures, too many expectations, too many worries, and too many dreams and aspirations to maintain control of. Sometimes I feel like they are leading me instead of me leading them.

But, that warm evening at the driving range - focusing and discarding the unnecessary thoughts in my mind I was led to a great peace. My mind was calm. For a few moments, I felt centered. My friend is amused with my new love for golf and my reasoning behind it. But, nonetheless, I think he is happy to have found a new golfing partner.

Since that night when I felt a great calm, I have been motivated to continue to maintain that peace and tranquility. Being inspired once again to concentrate on the essentials and basic principles of life - compassion, kindness, understanding, living without fear, simplicity, spirituality, and balance.

Again, I am drawn back to study the teachings of Buddha and meditation. There are great things I want to accomplish in this life and I must learn organization to my thoughts and eliminate the unnecessary and imprudent burdens.

To be continued...

No comments: