20 December 2008

Tied in a Knot

This week I was at Smith's Marketplace running some errands for work.  As I got out of my car, I saw a young man about my age, "walking" briskly along on crutches through the parking lot.  It wasn't until he was cleared of the obstructed view from the other cars that I realized he only had one leg.  I looked over my shoulder to see where he had come from in such a hurry and saw that he had just come from the bus stop.  I was a little slow to realize that because he was missing his right leg, consequently must not be able to drive.  He looked like a college student, wire-framed glasses, a little unshaven, outdoor performance jacket, and jeans.  His pant leg was tied in a knot.  He had a tall slender, seemingly malnourished frame so his wrinkly pants seemed to hang off him.  I was quite affected by the site of him, especially the knot in his jeans and the fast pace.  His pace was out of the ordinary, especially for someone on crutches.  I wondered what he was hurried with and why he might be hopping along so quickly.  I wondered why if he had such a permanent condition of not having a leg, why he would only tie his pant leg in a knot instead of hemming it or some other more permanent fix.  I was quite perplexed.  But the pant leg tied probably in haste, matched his hurried style.

I happened upon him again while inside the store and saw that he was slow to make eye contact or exchange a smile.  His demeanor was humble and wholesome.  My thoughts had been of him since having first seen him in the parking lot, and I was glad to get to observe him for a little while more while we shared the same grocery isle.  His countenance tugged at my heart and I was unable to focus on much else after.  Not because I felt sorry for him, but because I was intrigued with the ora that radiated from him.  It was uncommon.

When I first realized that he was without a leg, immediately I felt a sacred sense of gratitude in my heart (and pit of my stomach).  It seems silly, but the first thing I thought of was how much I love soccer and how greatly blessed I am to have strong healthy legs that carry me to and fro on the soccer field.  Not just carry me through the necessities of life, but allow me to enjoy the extra frills like soccer.  I felt spoiled.

I don't know where this young man was going after he left the store, what his life is like, or what kinds of obstacles he faces daily.  But from what little I saw of him, I admire and am impressed with him.  He has my respect.

1 comment:

Korby Charles said...

I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like, to be without any limb, but especially a leg. I bet he has strong arms though. You should've gotten his phone number, and learned from his experiences. I'm sure he is rich with wisdom and patience.