24 January 2009

To Find Joy in Posterity

Tonight I came upon copies of the patriarchal blessings of my grandparents and parents. Amongst my familial files I also found my grandfather's obituary, the letter my grandmother wrote to the whole family before her passing, and some written histories. I read through the context of the documents and was reminded of something that I was trying to ponder just earlier today, to find joy in posterity. Most often when I try to grasp the concept, it elludes me and I don't know how it is possible to feel such a joy from posterity. I do not comprehend. But today while looking through these intimate family papers, I comprehended just a little more the joy that comes from posterity. And I am a part of my grandparents' and parents' posterity. And I find joy currently as a part of it, even though there are no links after me that bind me to any of my own posterity. My thoughts tonight are particularly tender as I am drawn to pay attention to my family ties. Reading my own patriarchal blessing, I am more able to feel a link with my future posterity and to feel apart of the chain. I look forward to setting and reaching goals with my future family. To teach them, to lead them, and to have fun and play with them. The documents that I read tonight serve as a guide and as encouragment to press on steady with my goals.

No comments: