06 January 2009

Written in Time

Memories.  Why do I love them so much and why do I treat them as if they were worth more than gold?  I think memories are a sweet blessing given by Father in Heaven.  He knows that not all of our days will be equally bright.  And although those darker days have their purpose, I believe our Father is good, merciful, and kind enough to bless us with little rays of sunshine to lift our spirits both on dark and bright days.  

One of my favorite quotes speaks about not looking past the present joys.  What wonderful counsel!  It motivates me and excites me, because as it was said by an apostle of the Lord, it is also a testimony to me that there are always present joys to be savored.  And thats part of what makes memories so sweet I think, is because in the moment that they are made, we have to be alert enough to recognize them and store them in our bank of cherished moments.  Whether they are moments made of laughs and the sweetness that comes from two souls heartily laughing together and being connected in that moment, whether they are moments made of tears falling down cheeks and the tenderness that comes from two spirits being raw enough to reveal themselves honestly, whether they are moments made of victory and the satisfaction that comes from accomplishing a feat together as a team, or whether they are moments of solitude where the only communication that exists is between you and the Spirit, or you and Heavenly Father.  

The miracle of the human brain is incredible.  The complexity and depth of its capabilities is all too... perfect.  And to imagine that so much of its capabilities are in hibernation and how we will only know them after this sphere.. nuts I say!  My eyes brighten as I imagine the reality of an even greater day when we will have greater usage of our minds.  And then imagine the depth and scope of our memories.  What then will they be like?  

It is hard to think of memories and not be overwhelmed with the goodness of Heavenly Father.  Even the minute details of this earth life he has orchestrated in our behalf and for our enjoyment.  Just like the beauty of Earth was created for us, in much the same way and same purpose, I think memories were made available to us.  And surely as I delight in the beauty of this earth, I delight in the beauty of memories.  Yes, even the sad ones.  Maybe there is a greater worth in the sad ones, because it allows us to be reminded of where we once have been and where the Lord has been good enough to allow us to come.  Many of my tears lately have been tears of gratitude as I am reminded of older days and the blessing to make my future days whatever I would have of them.  For change.  And what worth would change have if we could not remember the previous days without an acknowledgment of that change?  Yes, there is a purpose in memories.  If we regard them correctly, they lead us to become more like Christ-inspiring, motivating, encouraging, humbling, and teaching us.  I am grateful for such memories and for the awareness of knowing that I should be grateful for them, deeply grateful.

1 comment:

Korby Charles said...

Beautiful. Beautifully written. Perfect amendment to my blog, and you take it ten steps further. And you write so eloquently, but so simple at the same time. I love your thought process, and your method of reasoning. Brilliant honey, sheer brilliance.