02 June 2009

Chasing the Intangibles


A mighty and super cool thunderstorm was swirling in the sky above and all around me and I thought, "There is NO WAY that I am missing this!"  I love thunder and rain storms so I was thrilled that I was in a circumstance that allowed me to relish and make the most of the storm.  Naturally, my good friends allowed me to bow out of what had just been freshly planned for the night and released me so that I could chase the storm and enjoy it for all its worth!  Sweet moment of freedom!!!!  I grabbed my favorite plaid blanket, jumped in my car, and was off!  I turned off all noise so that I could hear the soothing sounds of the rain beating against my car.  

The heaviest part of the storm was in the middle of the valley and middle of the city by the time I was able to hit the road.  I wasn't only interested in being in the thick of the storm, but more interested in being in the thick of the storm by myself in the middle of no where so that I could see, breathe, and hear the sounds of nature.  The next best place to be in the storm was nestled right up into the mountains near Alpine.  I meandered my way through unknown roads until finally I found myself at a road that could go no further.  I was at the base of the mountain that still sported snowy fields.  I heard the sound of wind through the trees and fast rushing water nearby.  I unrolled my windows, turned off the lights, reclined my chair and covered myself with my blanket so that only my face could feel the cold and rainy wind blowing through the woods.  The rain pitter pattered against the roof - a sound so delicate that it could not be heard on the drive over the sound of the rain hitting the windshield which although enjoyable does not compare with the sound upon the rooftop.  

I had finally arrived!!!  And... as I listened to the sounds of nature, felt the change in temperature upon my skin, and felt the beatings of my heart getting slower and more relaxed, I knew that I was absolutely content in that one moment.  I longed for nothing more than what I had.  I had no desire to leave, no worry that encroached upon my mind, no anger that burdened my heart, no wish other than what I had that very place and time.  I simply just wanted to be.  I could even smell the aroma of the alpine trees and wondered if I could capture it to keep and carry with me for reference at a later date.  Surely the store-bought car scent does the true smell no justice.  

So many inferior things are used as a substitute for the real deal.  Sometimes in the rush of life surrounded by concrete and stop lights I forget that in the simplicity of nature is where I most long to be.  Even the clothes that I adorn myself with day to day attempting to masquerade myself as a semi-professional and spend far too many dollars and hours in the pursuit thereof are far different than the clothes I most want to be in.  Give me a pair of durable canvas shorts, a Hane's tee, and Chacos and call me a happy girl.  

Getting back to the basics.  I've made some progress here and there and have regressed equally in other areas.  Sometimes I feel that it is my life that rules me and not I that rule my life.  And I take that back, I need to allow my life to be ruled by the man upstairs, my perfect Father in Heaven.  Silly Me, I fill my time with so many unnecessary and inconsequential frivolities.  

But before I lose the blessings of the day that were found at the end of the road in a rainstorm, I will lay aside thoughts of inadequacy and shortcoming.  After an hour or so the storm passed, the evening sky was getting dark and the profile of the mountains was beginning to blend with the oncoming night.  

The day was beautiful for what I found even for the duration of my short adventure "chasing" the rain and finding a resting place to enjoy its short life-span overhead.  Sweet solace and sweet creation.  I'd chase a thousand storms to see what could be found at the end of each road.

No comments: